Exercise #854: Craft
Today’s exercise was inspired by conversation with our own Sharon. She notes how much relationships are changing right now . . .
Explore relationships in your SUB. How do you, as an author, guide your reader into understanding the relationship between your characters? If you need a bit more guidance, try this:
* Pick two characters.
* Decide what the relationship will be. (Lovers? Exes? Family?)
* Show us a scene which will allow the reader to guess the relationship.
* Now, using the same two characters, change the relationship.
* Show us a second scene which will allow the reader to see the difference.
You may choose to add an editorial comment afterward, detailing your thoughts or what you learned by doing this exercise.
Critiquers, along with a technical critique, you might also answer the following questions:
* Did this help you as a writer?
* Why or why not?
Word limit: 750 each for the two scenes, 250 for any last commentary
Please use the subject line
SUB: Exercise #854/yourname